Routine home maintenance can save you a lot of time and money in the long run!
Six important tasks you should tackle each spring to help ensure a relaxing summer season.
- Spring Maintenance Task 1: Inspect your roof surface for warping, moss and cracking, making sure shingles, shakes or tiles are sound. Remember the flashing around chimneys, skylights and vents. Seal all cracks and openings, and make repairs as needed.
- Spring Maintenance Task 2: Check the condition of your gutters and downspouts. Make sure they are clear of debris and slope in the right direction to keep water flowing away from your foundation.
- Spring Maintenance Task 3: Examine siding for evidence of deterioration including cracks, splintering, decay and insect damage. Clean, treat and repair as necessary.
- Spring Maintenance Task 4: Try out your air conditioning system. Remember to change furnace filters and be sure there’s no foliage growing up against your outside units.
- Spring Maintenance Task 5: Clean up fallen limbs, branches and other debris to discourage infestation by wood-eating insects.
- Spring Maintenance Task 6: Repair and seal wooden decks. Refasten loose boards and replace those that are damaged or badly cracked. Then use a deck cleaner, pressure washer or both to remove dirt and grime from the surface. Once dry, apply a sealer.