National Bike Month- Bike To School Day
National Bike Month includes an ever-expanding diversity of events in communities nationwide.
- Bike to School Day- May 7
- Bike to Work Week will be May 12-16
- Bike to Work Day- May 16
The first-ever National Bike to School Day took place on May 9, 2012, in coordination with the League of American Bicyclists’ National Bike Month. Almost 1,000 local events in 49 states and the District of Columbia joined together to encourage children to safely bicycle or walk to school.
The event builds on the popularity of Walk to School Day, which is celebrated across the country – and the world – each October. Many communities and schools have been holding spring walk and bicycle to school events for years. National Bike to School Day provides an opportunity for schools across the country to join together to celebrate and to build off of the energy of National Bike Month.
More than half of the U.S. population lives within five miles of their workplace, making bicycling a feasible and fun way to get to work. With increased interest in healthy, sustainable and economic transportation options, it’s not surprising that, from 2000 to 2011, the number of bicycle commuters in the U.S. grew by more than 47 percent.
- Bike Laws - http://www.bikeleague.org/bikelaws
- Videos- Are you interested in riding, but could use a little more information to help boost your confidence? Our education videos are a great place to start! http://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmartvideos
- Smart Cycling Tips – These tip sheets will help you learn more about how to ride safely and perform maintenance on your bike. http://www.bikeleague.org/content/smart-cycling-tips-0
Find A Class- Smart Cycling classes will not only give you confidence to ride, but connect you with other bicyclists and advocates in your area. http://www.bikeleague.org/bfa/search/map?bfaq=
Rules of the Road- These rules will prepare you for a safe and fun bike commute no matter where you are riding. http://www.bikeleague.org/content/rules-road-0