Boating season is just around the wave!
- The majority of fatalities occur involving boats of less than 26′, in calm water with waves less than 6” and in light wind (0-6 mph), during the months of June and July, on a Saturday, between 2:30pm -6:30pm.
- In 2011, the Coast Guard counted 4588 accidents that involved 758 deaths, 3081 injuries and approximately $52 million dollars of damage to property as a result of recreational boating accidents.
- 70% of all fatal boating accident victims drowned, of those, 84% were not wearing a life jacket. Eight out of every ten boaters who drowned were using vessels less than 21 feet in length.
- Only 11% of deaths occurred on boats where the operator had received boating safety instruction.
- Operator inattention, improper lookout, operator inexperience, excessive speed, and machinery failure rank as the top five primary contributing factors in accidents.
- Alcohol use is the leading contributing factor in fatal boating accidents; it was listed as the leading factor in 16% of the deaths.
- Fifteen children under age thirteen lost their lives while boating in 2011. 60% of the children who died in 2011 died from drowning. 78% of those who drowned were wearing a life jacket as required by state and federal law.
Can you pass the quiz? Safe Boating “Quick Quiz“?
The Handbook of Indiana boating Laws and Responsibilities- Contact the Indiana Department of Natural Resources for a copy at www.in.gov/dnr or 317-232-4010.
Online safe boating courses
- IN Department of Natural Resources- http://www.in.gov/dnr/lawenfor/education/boat-edu.htm
- US Power Squadron- http://www.usps.org/
- US Coast Guard Auxiliary- www.cgaux.org
- Boat US Foundation- http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/. The course is recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Association of Boating Law Administrators and is accepted by many states as a certified boating safety course.
Download the Boat handbook at www.boat-ed.com/in/handbook or contact your local DNR office for a copy.
Forums for discussion and sharing- www.Boated.com
Boat ready for the waves with these 6 tips! http://blog.foremost.com/tips-to-get-your-boat-ready-for-the-waves.asp
Personal WaterCraft- Stay safe and have fun. http://ow.ly/o5EhJ
Life jacket safety tips from the U.S. Coast Guard. http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/life_jacket_wear_wearing_your_life_jacket.aspx